Lifespan Learning Institute is fully committed to conducting all activities in strict conformance with the Ethical Principles of the APA, BBS, BRN, and NBCC. Lifespan Learning Institute will comply with all legal and ethical responsibilities to be non-discriminatory in promotional activities, program content and in the treatment of program participants. The monitoring and assessment of compliance with these standards will be the responsibility of the Education Chair in consultation with the members of the continuing education committee and the program Chairperson.
While Lifespan Learning Institute goes to great lengths to assure fair treatment for all participants and attempts to anticipate problems, there will be occasional issues which come to the attention of the program staff which require intervention and/or action on the part of the program staff or an officer of Lifespan Learning Institute. This procedural description serves as a guideline for handling such grievances.
When a participant, either orally or in written format, files a grievance and expects action on the complaint, the following actions will be taken.
1. If the grievance concerns a speaker, the content presented by the speaker, or the style of presentation, the individual filing the grievance will be asked to put his/her comments in written format. The CE Chair will then pass on the comments to the speaker, assuring the confidentiality of the grieved individual.
2. If the grievance concerns a program offering, its content, level of presentation, or the facilities in which the program was offered, the program chair will mediate and will be the final arbitrator. If the participant requests action, the program chair will:
- Provide a fee credit toward a future program or
- Provide a partial or full refund of the program fee.
- Actions 2a and 2b will require a written note, documenting the grievance, for record keeping purposes. The note need not be signed by the grieved individual.
3. If the grievance concerns the Lifespan Learning Institute CE program, in a specific regard, the CE Chair will attempt to arbitrate.
A grievance can be submitted to the CE Chair, Dr. Marion Solomon, by phone 310.474.2505 or by fax: 310.475.3313